Wednesday, April 30, 2008

People keep asking me if I'm nervous about childbirth. And I can confidently say no...I'm actually pretty excited! We finished our childbirth class last night, so I now feel very empowered and prepared. I mean, yes, it's going to hurt. Duh. It's a seven pound human being coming out of your...you know. But our bodies were made for this!

So I look at it more like a challenge. I'm really excited to see how well I can do. And anyone who knows me knows that I HATE losing. I HATE IT! So I'm excited to see how it goes, and David's prepared now (thanks to our class) to help me win! And so far in life (all two and a half years that we've known each other), we've made a pretty kick-butt team.

I do have a few fears. I'm afraid the baby won't be healthy. I think that's a natural fear, and there's obviously nothing I can do about it. I'm afraid that I'll stop breathing or my heart will stop or something. Weird and kind of irrational, but I have this breathing thing. I'm so scared of suffocating, all the time. So the practice breathing part of the childbirth class? Actually not that good for me. Made me feel like I was hyperventilating. And I'm afraid that interventions will be necessary. I don't want that. I want to do it myself, and I plan to. But there are times when interventions are medically indicated, and I will be disappointed if that's the case.

But then, of course, it's win-win. Because I still get to be a mama in the end, and that's what I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you have a blog! That makes me so happy because I'll get to see pictures of your baby. I'll be praying that everything goes well for you, and I'm so sure that it will.

Sarah Eiley said...

You go girl!!!! (I found this through your facebook... not cyber stalking!) Just to combat all the horror stories I'm sure you've heard... I LOVED every minute of my labor and birth. It hurt yes, and was a lot of work, but after each contraction I felt SO powerful, feminine and just awesome! I had a lot of suppor from my husband, my doula and my midwife, and also Susanne, who you know... it was a great experience, and totally life changing! Not many people will tell you that about birth... but it was great!! YOU WILL DO GREAT! :) :)

Christer said...

Like I said at your rehearsal dinner, "You know how in every family there's that one sibling who is better than everybody else at everything that they do? Yeah. That's you."

I have no doubt that you'll be really good at having a baby. You're good at everything.

I've never had a baby before, but I'm sure that if I did, you'd be better at it than me.

Post a Comment